Loughborough High School is an independent day school for girls aged 11-18. It was founded in 1850 and is believed to be one of the country’s oldest grammar schools for girls. Until 1976 it was a direct grant school and having become an independent school it then took part in the Government Assisted Places Scheme. The buildings of the school are a mixture of 19th century school buildings, converted houses and later additions constructed from the 1960s onwards. Most recently, in 2010, the existing science building has been refurbished and also extended with the addition of four new laboratories.
We are constantly improving and updating facilities. Over recent years not only have new areas been developed but adaptations to, and conversions of, our historic premises have been completed. Our joint LES music school is used by all three of the Loughborough Endowed Schools to provide a wide range of instrumental lessons alongside class music lessons using up to date equipment.
The external changes to the campus and our buildings mirror the educational challenges of today and we constantly seek to keep up to date with new developments and technologies. Although academic work and excellence are central to our philosophy, we also believe that the personal and social development of each individual pupil is of vital importance. Our aim is to help our pupils to realise their full potential in all aspects of life; physical, social and academic.